For the backcountry skier, snowboarder, heli-skier, snowmobiler, snowshoe hiker, or hut trip skier, awareness of snow pack stability is critical to the choice of route and successful/safe completion of the day's tour. Avalanche assessment and avoidance skills are of primary importance to those traveling through the winter backcountry.
The Level 1 Course provides a complete introduction to the avalanche phenomenon, avalanche terrain, decision making, and rescue.
Students will come away from the course with the following information:
- How to prepare and plan for a tour
- How to analyze an avalanche forecast
- How to identify avalanche terrain, avalanche type
- How to recognize hazardous conditions
- Basic snow pack understanding
- Basics of route selection/terrain features
- Basic tests techniques and interpretation
- Educated decision making
- Basic rescue techniques
- Group management
Why choose Aspen Expeditions?
- 1. AIARE and/or AMGA trained or certified ski guide/instructor
2. Low guide ratio
3. Slopeside at Aspen Highlands & close to backcountry terrain
4. Alpine touring gear available for demo at our shop
5. Includes all necessary avalanche rescue equipment
6. 36 years of knowledge, avalanche education & mountain/ski guiding experience in the Aspen & Elk Mountain Range area
Aspen Expeditions' professional AMGA certified or trained guides follow both AIARE and AAA international snow education standards. Our expertise combined with years of experience in mountain ranges throughout the world assure you the highest quality instruction available.